With over 122.5 million units sold since its inception in 2017, Nintendo Switch is now the third-bestselling home console of all time. It has managed to surpass the sales of the PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo Game Boy. So, if you’re a Switch gamer wanting to stream their game online or stream it to your friends, you can use Discord.
But the console doesn’t have a native Discord app, so streaming on Discord is not very straightforward and riddled with technicalities. Not to worry, though, because we’ve got you covered with this comprehensive guide to streaming Switch on Discord.
Can You Stream Switch on Discord?
Due to the lack of a dedicated app, at this point in time, you can’t directly do that.
So, if you’re trying to stream Nintendo Switch on Discord, you will need to work on your setup, assemble the connections, and configure the software settings.
To stream Switch on Discord, you will need to have specific hardware and some HDMI cables.
- Buy a video capture card that allows online streaming.
- Install a streaming software that sends your PC’s game capture to your Discord voice channel.
- Download the Discord desktop application.
How to Stream Switch on Discord in 2023
The streaming guide is divided into two parts. Hardware setup and software setup. You will need to configure your hardware, i.e., Nintendo Switch, as per the below-mentioned configurations and then move to the software part.
Follow these steps to stream your Nintendo Switch on Discord.
1- Hardware Setup
Now that you are ready with all the necessary equipment, let’s figure out how to assemble it to start streaming:
- The Nintendo Switch comes with a “Dock” that allows gamers to project their gameplay onto screens like TVs and computers.
- Securely connect the USB C ports available on the Dock to the Switch.
- Disconnect the Dock if it is connected to TVs or any other screens. This ensures that the signal is sent only to the desired device.
- Use an HDMI cable to connect your video capture card and the Dock.
- Make the connection from the video capture card’s “HDMI IN” port because the Dock only has an “HDMI OUT” port.
- Use a USB cable to connect the video capture card to your PC. If the video capture card has built-in software, it should open once the connection is secure. In case the software doesn’t open, check your video capture card’s user manual.
- Your Switch screen will now be displayed on your PC’s screen.
- Turn on your Nintendo console by long pressing the Switch Power button.
2- Software Setup
Now that we’re done setting up the hardware let’s figure out how to configure the software to facilitate streaming.
- Use the video capture card user manual to install the capture device software on your PC. In some cases, the PC might prompt you automatically to install the software once you connect the USB cable.
- Go over your console settings to ensure they are perfect for an optimal streaming experience. In “System Settings,” go to “TV Resolution” and select 1080p and the “Full RGB Range.”
- The next step in setting up the software is configuring VLC Media Player. Open a word processing software (Notepad etc.) and copy-paste the code below:
“C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe” dshow:// :dshow-vdev=”Game Capture HD60 S (Video) (#01)” :dshow-adev=”Game Capture HD60 S (Audio) (#01)” :dshow-aspect-ratio=”16:9″ :dshow-audio-samplerate=48000 :dshow-audio-channels=2 :live-caching=0 :dshow-fps=60
Don’t remove the quotation marks, which might affect the code’s functioning. If you see a different device name, change the information accordingly.
Given that the VLC installation location might be different from the “C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe” specified in the code, change it to the VLC file path of your Windows.
- Open VLC on your PC.
- Click on “Media” in the menu bar of your VLC screen.
- In the pop-up menu, click on “Open Capture Device.” Or you can press Ctrl+C on your keyboard.
- Make sure that under “Capture Mode,” “Direct Show” has been chosen. If it isn’t, then open the dropdown menu and choose “Direct Show.”
- Under “Device Selection,” open the dropdown menu next to Video Device Name and Audio Device Name to select an audio and video name.
- Click on the checkbox next to “Show More Options.”
- In the expanded window, paste the code typed out in Notepad in the “Edit Options” space.
- Close the “Open Media” window.
- Right-click on a VLC shortcut and select “Properties” on the pop-up menu
- Paste the same code in the “Target” box. This will ensure that the VLC Media Player is targeting your video capture card. Any time this shortcut is run, it will apply the configurations.
- Click OK to save changes, and if it gives you a popup requesting administration access. Click on Continue.
- Now, open the VLC shortcut. Discord will now be using your VLC video window for the live stream.
We have tested the above-mentioned steps to stream games via Nintendo Switch on Discord, and it worked perfectly. We even tested it to create a watch party with the game boys and watch Disney Plus on Discord.
How to Stream Switch On Discord with a PC
Now that all the hardware and software have been set up, all that’s left is to configure Discord for a smooth stream.
- Open a server on your Discord installed on your PC.
- Click on the speaker icon to open a voice channel.
- Above your username present at the bottom left, click on the “Share Your Screen” button. It looks like a monitor with an arrow inside.
- Depending on your preference, under “Entire Screen” or “Windows,” click on VLC Media Player.
- Click “Share.”
- Click on “Go Live.”
- Your VLC window will show your Nintendo Switch gameplay on Discord.
Congratulations, your Nintendo Switch has been connected to Discord. If you are into movies or tv series, watch Netflix on Discord without black screen with your friends.
How to record the screen while streaming Switch on Discord via Windows?
If you want to record your screen, then you should go with these apps:
Free software for screen recording, streaming, and audio mixing. The app also offers features for setting up a scene and noise cancellation.
If you want to record and screenshot your screen, this is the software for you. Snagit also allows you to share your screen, images, and videos.
This software allows for quick editing and multi-device recording. You can also access resources like images and audio samples.
How to Stream Switch On Discord Without Capture Card
- Use a PC with an “HDMI IN” port. Streaming Switch on Discord is impossible if you don’t have an HDMI connection.
- If your PC has an “HDMI IN” port, it has a built-in video capture card, and you won’t need to use an external one.
- If your system has an “HDMI IN” port, you can connect the HDMI cable to your system and the Switch docking station immediately after docking the Nintendo Switch.
- Simply follow the steps outlined above. But instead of right-clicking the VLC media player icon and pasting the code in the “Target” section, launch it from another shortcut instead.
→ Did you know you can share your PS4 screen on Discord?
With the help of this comprehensive guide, you can easily stream Switch on Discord with (or without) a video capture card. Enjoy streaming your Pokemon gameplay online.