If you are a gaming fanatic, you probably run Discord on your desktop or gaming laptop before launching any other games. With 150 million users on its network, Discord owes its popularity to its incredibly popular gaming features like exclusive voice chat rooms and game integration.
With over 117 million units sold since its release, PlayStation 4 is the second best-selling home console of all time. It’s second only to PlayStation 2. With such an incredible number of units sold, it’s unsurprising that so many gamers are trying to figure out how to run Discord on the console.
Nevertheless, the Discord app doesn’t presently support the PlayStation 4 console.
Is Discord on PS4?
The straight answer is no. Discord is not available in the Play Station app store because the gaming console giant has its own chat application named Party Chat, which has features similar to Discord.
However, Party Chat lacks some elements, which is why gamers look for alternatives. Here is a complete guide to getting Discord on PS4 in 2023.
How To Get Discord on PS4 in 2023
PlayStation has its own Discord-like platform called Party Chat, but it lacks some of the major elements that make Discord so popular. Let’s see how we can use Discord on PS4.
1- Using Discord’s Chat Feature
- Register yourself on Discord from any device, like a PC or smartphone.
- Open the web browser on your PS4.
- Open the Discord website.
- Hit OK and fill up the required account and password details.
- Log in to your previously registered Discord Account.
2- Connecting Audio To Discord On PS4
Quite simple so far. Here’s where the setup gets a little tricky. You will need some external hardware to connect audio to Discord on your PS4.
Here are the components you’ll need to follow to connect audio to your Discord server on PS4.
- A headset that has an optical cable and can support a USB connection.
- A Mixamp or a similar device like Mixamp Pro TR to switch audio between a PC and PS4.
- Cables including 3.5mm Male to Male, 3.5mm Aux Splitter and 3.5mm to 3.5mm with Volume
- Of course, you’ll also need to install Discord on your Desktop.
Once you have assembled the following components, follow these steps to connect the audio:
- Turn on your MixAmp in its console mode. Connect your ground loop noise isolator to an aux port onto the device and plug the aux cable into it.
- Now connect your USB cable to the PS4.
- Connect your headset to the MixAmp with its 3.5 mm cable.
- Open PS4’s settings and navigate your way to “Devices”, then “Audio Devices”.
- Under “Input Device” select your headset.
- Under “Output Device”, select TV or AV Amplifier.
- Go back to “Settings” and under “Sound and Screen”, choose “Audio Output” settings.
- Set your Primary Output to Digital Out (Optical).
- You can now voice stream through Discord on your PS4 while you play your game.
The downside with this is that it only lets you listen to the voice stream, and you cannot listen to the gameplay sounds simultaneously. For you to listen to both, you’ll need to connect the MixAmp to your computer and get a dual audio system.
Here is how you can do that:
- Connect the MixAmp to your computer with a USB and set the MixAmp to computer mode.
- Use a 3.5 mm male-to-male cable to connect the MixAmp to the computer’s speakers.
- Open Discord and click on the gear icon at the bottom left of your screen to open “User Settings”.
- Find “Settings” and then go to “Voice and Video”.
- Under “Input Device,” select your MixAmp, and under “Output Device,” select your PC speakers.
- You can now use the audio wheel on your MixAmp to alter the audio levels between the game and your voice stream through Discord.
The alternative workaround is less expensive but is still time-consuming. In this case, PS Remote Play is required to access your games on your iOS or Android smartphone.
- Make a secondary PS account and set it as your default.
- Log into the PS Remote Play app using this account.
- Connect your headset to your phone and join a Discord voice channel.
- Connect to your PS4 using the Remote Play app.
Now, you should be able to hear the audio from the console and Discord on your phone, however, there might be some lag. Use the lowest stream quality possible to conserve bandwidth while reducing lag. After that, you may grab your PS controller and join the action while chatting with your Discord buddies.
Did you know you can use a VPN on PS4 and unblock geo-restricted games?
Is there a way to set up Discord for PS5?
Recently, PlayStation published a beta version of Discord, which is currently available for download on your PlayStation 5. As a result, you may now use your PS5 controller to access Discord in addition to your laptop and phone.
It makes sense that Discord may be used on your PS5 because it was designed as a gaming platform in the beginning. Other groups of people nowadays are beginning to use the platform, however, gamers are still its primary target audience.
We’ll walk you through how to access Discord if you haven’t received an invitation to try out the beta version.
Set Up Discord On PS5 (Beta Method)
You can check your email inbox to see whether you’ve been chosen if you’re not sure. Do not forget to look in the spam folder.
PlayStation emailed the people that were chosen to let them know. If you’re one of the lucky ones, just use the code to gain access.
Link Your Discord Account
- Using either a PC or a smartphone, register yourself on Discord.
- If you’ve been given access to the beta version, install it on your PS5.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Then go to “Users and Accounts”.
- Click on “Linked Services”.
- Click on the Discord option
- In the pop-up that appears, confirm that you would like to link the Discord and PlayStation accounts.
- You will get two options; link the accounts via a QR code or use your browser.
- Although the QR code option is faster, either of the methods is similarly effective.
Use Discord Voice On PS5
- Open the Discord mobile application.
- Select whichever voice channel you want to join.
- Swipe up on the “Voice Controls”
- Click on the “Join on PlayStation” button.
- In the pop-up that appears, click on “Transfer to PlayStation”.
- Congratulations you can now do all the standard Discord functions from your PS5.
If you like watching movies and tv series and are a pop culture fan, then here is a complete guide to watching Disney+ on Discord in 2023.
Discord has not yet been formally launched for PS4 users. Yet, sooner or later, we shall all witness the integration. You can also watch Netflix on Discord and watch movies and tv shows with your friends.
Hopefully, we have cleared all of your concerns and queries. Although the steps may appear very difficult at first, once they have been completed properly, you will realize that it was worthwhile.