Hello guys. We’re back for another post on how to access the American Netflix series. This one will cover how to access the US Netflix in Canada, because in case you’re wondering, the US and the Canadian libraries vary quite a bit in terms of the content they offer. As you can guess, the US library is still the superior version and it makes sense to access the American version because the Canadian users are paying the same amount as the residents of the United States of America. So without any delay, let’s see how you can access the US version of Netflix up north in Canada.
Why is American Netflix not Accessible in Canada?
The United States has Hollywood and is the hub of entertainment content. Most well-known movie and TV show production companies are based in the US. So it’s quite obvious that USA netizens are always going to get more content compared to any other region.
But why is that the case? Because of copyrights and distribution rights. A certain studio or production company owns the rights to that content or intellectual property. It’s up to that company which regions it wishes to allow Netflix to stream its content in. If, for example, 20th Century Fox signs a deal with Netflix to only show Mr. and Mrs. Smith in the US, then Mr. and Mrs. Smith will not be available on any other Netflix library…
How to get American Netflix in Canada | Stream US Netflix from Canada
Streamers in Canada keep asking the question, “how to get American Netflix in Canada?” The answer is simple – using a VPN – which is now the go-to method of the elitist binge-streamers. If they know Netflix has the content in their US library, they’ll just connect to their VPN’s American server and stream anything they want. Here’s how you can do that too:
- Get ExpressVPN to watch US Netflix in Canada (12+3 month free special deal)
- Download the VPN app on your preferred device
- Select a US IP address from the list
- Now open Netflix on your browser or in-app
- Search your favorite movie or TV show
- Congratulations you have successfully got American Netflix from Canada
Best VPN to watch Netflix US in Canada
In all honesty, the answer is very subjective. A VPN just works for the user but might not work for you. That depends on a lot of factors. But after trying various VPNs in the market, we have reached two conclusive options that have amazing speeds, offer a buffer/lag-free streaming experience, work on any and every device, and have a near to 100% success rate. They also have a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can always claim a refund if they don’t work out for you. With that said, here are your two best bets:
1- NordVPN– VPN with the largest server network to watch Netflix US in Canada
NordVPN is our first pick and it’s no coincidence if you know of this name already. It’s one of the best VPN brands out there. It could very well be the number one VPN brand based on how much people talk about it online.
To begin with, NordVPN has 5000+ servers in more than 60 countries. The said provider offers an amazing streaming experience, not just on Netflix, but also on other streaming services like BBC iPlayer, Peacock, Hulu, and HBO Max.
A lot of people think VPNs reduce speeds which is actually the case with most VPN brands, but not NordVPN. We got 94.1 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection, and each time we streamed during our test, we never got a single hiccup. Nord’s price is another strong selling point as it costs USD 95.76 for a 2-year plan, meaning it costs just under USD 4.00 a month.
Did we forget to mention NordVPN also has 24/7 support that you can contact anytime to make Nord work with your Netflix? Oh, it also has a 30-day money-back guarantee so your hundred bucks’ worth of investment is safe.
2- ExpressVPN – The best VPN to get American Netflix in Canada
The next option is of course ExpressVPN. ExpressVPN being mentioned second in the list doesn’t make it a less viable option than NordVPN. On the contrary, ExpressVPN covers more than 160 locations, offers 3000 servers, and streams everything like the VPN isn’t even connected. There’s no notable difference in downloading and streaming speeds based on our tests and we got 94.6 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
Like NordVPN, ExpressVPN also has a competent customer support team that’s always available and just one click away. If you ever feel your ExpressVPN app isn’t unblocking Netflix US from Canada, just get in touch with their support and they will make sure you are able to connect to and stream from the Netflix US library. And even if that doesn’t work out for some reason, you always have the option to ask for a refund because ExpressVPN offers a 30day money-back guarantee as well.
One thing to note, however, is their price tag, which is a bit high at almost USD 12.99 a month. However, if you go with their annual plan, you can save almost 50% and get a full year’s worth of subscription for just USD 99.95, bringing the cost down to USD 6.67 a month.
With you now knowing about both the VPN providers, the decision-making process should be easier for you. Be confident that neither option is bad, and both work smoothly to offer the best streaming experience, not just for Netflix, but for other streaming services as well.
Can you get US Netflix in Canada for free?
It’s officially written on Netflix’s site that they don’t offer a free trial at all. So there’s essentially no free way to stream Netflix. But if you already have a Netflix subscription, you can stream US Netflix from Canada or from anywhere else without paying anything extra to Netflix.
Note that you will need a premium VPN to unblock US Netflix from Canada as that is the only way to access Netflix US content from outside the US.
Can you watch American Netflix in Canada with a Free VPN?
If you’re wondering about the free options (VPNs), they don’t work because of flagged, spammy, and blacklisted IPs, and a premium option like Express or Nord works because their IPs are whitelisted and aren’t used for spam, thus making Netflix believe you’re actually in the US.
If you try to access US Netflix in Canada, you are going to get the infamous Netflix error code M7037-1111, which means Netflix has detected that you are using a VPN.
If by chance you are successful in unblocking US Netflix in Canada with a Free VPN then the slow streaming speed and frequent disconnection will ruin the streaming experience, therefore it is highly advised to use a premium VPN service.
Why Stream American Netflix in Canada? | Difference Between The American and The Canadian Netflix
Because of US Netflix library to make it simple. By now, you might already know how vast the American Netflix library is. There’s always a high chance if you’re unable to find any content on Canadian or any other Netflix, you will end up finding it on Netflix US. Since most of the top-quality streaming content is produced in the US, it’s highly likely the distributor will want to make that content available in its place of origin, i.e. the US. And that is Netflix US always has the biggest collection of movies and TV shows compared to all other regions.
Now that it’s clear why Netflix US is the Superior version, here are some differences in the programming of the two libraries under discussion (Canada and US).
Why Use VPN to Stream American Netflix in Canada?
One; because a VPN is the only solution, the only way to stream American Netflix in Canada, And two; because it costs very little and also works with other Netflix libraries. You can also access other Netflix libraries like the UK, Australia, Italy, India, Japan, Germany, and France among others.
Netflix Price comparison
This is, on its own, a rather hot topic these days because Netflix has developed this habit of increasing its prices every couple of years at most. When Netflix first started offering streaming services, it cost only USD 7.99 for its basic plan. But today, it has a number of plans, and the price of each is listed below:
- Basic subscription – CAD 9.99 per month
- Standard subscription – CAD 16.49 per month
- Premium subscription – CAD 20.99 per month
These prices are very close to the original US pricing, which are as follows
- Basic – USD 9.99
- Standard – USD 15.49
- Premium – USD 19.99
Visit this link and the pricing for your reference.
There is one more thing we want to say before we move forward – Netflix is really cheap and affordable in third-world countries. So it’s suggested to get a Netflix subscription after connecting to such a region using a VPN, and then changing your region to Canada or even to US (via the same VPN) as you stream. Take a look at this shot from Netflix’s official page after connecting to Pakistan using a VPN.
How to get Netflix at a Cheap Price?
Netflix is offered at a cheap price in a number of third-world countries like Pakistan, India, and Turkey. If you wish to get Netflix at a cheap price then follow these steps:
- Get ExpressVPN for Netflix
- Download the VPN app on your device
- Select a Pakistani IP address from the list
- Now open Netflix.com on your browser
- Enter your email address and click on get started
- Enter your desired password for this account
- Choose your pricing plan from (Basic, Standard, and Premium)
- Enter your credit card details (Visa/Master/ American Express or Union Pay)
- Done! you have subscribed to Netflix at a cheaper price
Watch American Netflix in Canada on Your Favourite Devices
There’s essentially no device Netflix can’t run on, except maybe toasters and washing machines. The said streaming channel has an app for literally every platform. And for the ones it doesn’t, like Windows or Mac, there’s always the browser way. Following is a list of devices you can stream Netflix on:
- Android smartphones
- Android tablets
- Android Smart TVs
- All iPhones
- All iPads
- All versions of macOS (browser)
- Windows PC (browser) – Every version that has the latest browser support
- Linux devices (browser) – all distros
- Set-top and TV boxes like NVIDIA Shield
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV
- Xbox One / Xbox One S / Xbox One X
- Xbox Series S / Xbox Series X
- PlayStation 4 / PS4 Slim / PS4 Pro
- PlayStation 5
- Kodi Addon
How to get Netflix US in Canada on PC/Windows
It doesn’t matter which OS you are using on your PC. Netflix works well on Windows, macOS, Linux, and BSDs. You just have to have a browser that supports streaming and follow these steps:
- Get ExpressVPN or NordVPN subscription and app
- You can also use Express or Nord’s browser extensions to connect
- Connect to VPN using any USA server
- Open Netflix.com in your browser
- Login to Netflix using your credentials
- Enjoy. You are now in the US Netflix library
How to get Netflix US in Canada on iPhone
Accessing US Netflix from Canada using an iPhone or an iPad is even easier. Just:
- Get the ExpressVPN subscription (via in-app purchase or website)
- Download the VPN app from Apple Store
- Select a US server from the list
- Now open Netflix in-app or in the safari browser
- Enjoy US Netflix from Canada
How to get American Netflix from Canada on Android
Most people have Android instead of iOS, but the method is the exact same, except instead of App Store, Android devices have a Play Store to get apps from. To run Netflix US on your Android device, just:
- Get ExpressVPN from Netflix (via in-app purchase or website)
- Download the VPN app from Google Play Store
- Log in with your credentials
- Connect to a US servers
- Now open Netflix on your phone’s browser or in-app
- Enjoy watching American Netflix from Canada
How to get Netflix US in Canada on Smart TV
Most smart TVs are Android, so the method is the exact same. To run Netflix US from Canada on your Smart TV:
- Get a VPN subscription (via in-app purchase or website)
- Download the VPN app on your Smart TV if you haven’t already
- Run the VPN app and connect to a US server
- Get the Netflix app and sign up if you haven’t already
- Run the Netflix app and log in
- Enjoy Netflix US from Canada
How to get Netflix US in Canada on Kodi
This is a little complex method because Kodi is a comprehensive media player that does so much more. So please bear with us as we explain how to get Netflix US in Canada on Kodi:
- Get a VPN subscription first via ExpressVPN or NordVPN site
- Download and install Kodi’s app for your respective device (Android, Mac, iOS, Windows, Linux supported)
- Run the VPN app and connect to a US server
- Get Kodi’s Netflix Plugin from GitHub
- Run Kodi
- Click on the cog icon to go to Settings
- Click on Add-ons
- Click on Install from Zip File
- If you see an auto-update prompt, click yes
- Browse to the location where you downloaded the repository
- Select the zip file
- Now head back to Add-ons
- This time, click on “install from repository”
- Click on CastagnaIT Repository from the list
- Click on Video add-ons
- Click on Netflix
- If you are prompted to install dependencies, install all of them
- Wait for the process to finish
- Go back to Home
- Hover on the Add-ons tab and click on Netflix to the right of the screen
- Search for your favorite movies/shows on Netflix addon and enjoy
Note: Some Linux distros, especially the less-bloated ones require some additional libraries to make the Netflix add-on work. However, popular distros like Ubuntu have these dependencies preinstalled or will install them with the Kodi package.
Links to download Kodi’s Netflix plugin:
- https://github.com/asciidisco/plugin.video.netflix – Kodi 18 Leia
- https://github.com/castagnait/repository.castagnait/raw/master/repository.castagnait-1.0.1.zip – Kodi 18 Leia
- https://github.com/castagnait/repository.castagnait/raw/matrix/repository.castagnait-1.0.0.zip – Kodi 19 Matrix
How to get Netflix US in Canada on PS4
If you’re trying to access Netflix on a gaming console like Xbox or PlayStation, the process is very easy and all you need is Netflix’s app from either PlayStation Store or Microsoft Store, depending on the console. However, changing the region to access Netflix US from Canada on your PS4 or PS5 is a little technical and requires you to change your IP at the router level.
Below are the steps to run US Netflix in Canada on PS4.
- Get ExpressVPN or NordVPN subscription
- Configure the acquired VPN on your router using this linked guide (hyperlink)
- Turn on your PS4/PS5
- Connect your console to the internet
- Download Netflix’s app from Play Station Store
- Run Netflix’s app
- Log in
- Stream Netflix US in Canada from your PS4/PS5 console
The same way works on Xbox as well.
The best device to stream American Netflix in Canada
So, which is the best device to stream American Netflix in Canada? The answer depends on your use case and which device you find the most convenient. Our personal recommendation would be to run Netflix’s app on your preferred device, then use the device’s screencast/mirror feature to stream Netflix US from Canada on your giant screen.
Best shows on American Netflix for Canadians
It’s an established fact that Netflix US has the biggest collection of TV shows. If you use a VPN to change your region to the US and then access the American Netflix from Canada, the following are some of the exclusive programs you will be able to stream in April:
- House of Cards
- Breaking Bad
- Downton Abbey
- The Walking Dead
- The Haunting of Hill House
- 30 Rock
Note that these programs vary month to month and while some will remain, some will leave Netflix in the coming month or months.
Best movie on Netflix America for Canadians
Not just TV shows, Netflix US has some of the best, all-time classic movies available that are exclusive to its US library at the moment. Following are some of the movies to look forward to in the month of May.
- Shutter Island
- Star Trek
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Blade Runner: The Final Cut
- The Hateful Eight
- Once Upon a Time in America
- There will be blood
- Kung Fu Panda
- Dances with Wolves
- Rain Man
- Million Dollar Baby
- The Artist
- Boogie Nights
Again note that like TV shows on Netflix, their movie library is subject to change too and may change in the months to come.
Hope you enjoyed this little post of ours explaining how to access Netflix US from Canada, which devices to stream Netflix US on, and how to access the said library on your favorite devices along with a huge list of movies and TV shows exclusive to Netflix US. Have fun unblocking the biggest content library Netflix has to offer.