Hey folks. We’re back with another detailed channel blog. This time, we have BBC iPlayer, the most famous free channel app everyone wants to watch content on but no one outside the UK can. Let’s have a quick recap before we jump on to why it’s blocked outside the UK and how you can stream BBC iPlayer in the USA.
iPlayer is part of BBC Network. It’s a platform where most of the popular BBC’s English, Scottish and Irish programming can be streamed online. Iplayer has been in existence for more than 14 years now, debuting in December 2007. BBC announced in 2015 that they would move iPlayer to an HTML5-based format for streaming and will ditch Flash.
Today, BBC iPlayer is available across all the major devices like iPhones, Android phones, smart televisions, and on desktops as a website/web app. The catch here is that since the programming is natively from the UK, and the available content cannot be shown outside the UK without violating copyright laws or triggering copyright issues, BBC iPlayer cannot be streamed in the USA. And this is why we will deal with how to unblock BBC iPlayer in USA in the lines below.
How to watch BBC iPlayer in USA | Get BBC iPlayer in the United States (Tested March 2023)
This is the best part. Read this section of the post if nothing else. iPlayer is totally free for anyone who has an account with a VPN. Yes, that means you can watch your favorite shows like Peaky Blinders on iPlayer for free. Here’s how:
- Get ExpressVPN for BBC iPlayer (30-day money-back guarantee)
- Download the VPN app on your preferred device
- Log into your new VPN account you just signed up for
- Connect to a UK server from the country list (UK – Dockland)
- Now Run your BBC iPlayer app or visit their website https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
- Sign up for iPlayer, it’s free
- Log in to iPlayer on the device/website
- Click on your favorite TV show and enjoy!
Please note that most of iPlayer’s programming is only available for a month, i.e. 30 days. For example, Winter Soldier is currently available on iPlayer, but after 30 days of its upload, it will be taken down, so it wouldn’t matter after that if you’re using BBC iPlayer from USA or UK, it will not be available to any iPlayer user.
Can I get a BBC iPlayer account in USA | How to have a BBC iPlayer account outside UK?
Getting a BBC account in the United States becomes easy with a VPN. Just follow the steps to subscribe to BBC iPlayer from US.
- Get ExpressVPN for BBC iPlayer (30-day money-back guarantee)
- Connect to a British IP address (UK – Dockland)
- Open BBC.co.uk in your browser or click here
- Click on Sign in which is located on the top left corner
- It will redirect you to another page, now click on register now
- Select your age (Below 16 or Above 16)
- Add your date of birth, email ID and password
- Select the United Kingdom as your country and add “E16 1AD or E16 2AF” as the postal code for Dockland
- Verify your email address
- Done! now you have access to BBC iPlayer in USA
Note: When you select Peaky Blinders on BBC iPlayer, it will ask you “Do you have a TV license?” just click on “Yes I have” and play the show. (BBC iPlayer does not verify)
Best BBC iPlayer VPN in 2023 to Watch British TV Channels in USA | Watch iPlayer Abroad & Outside UK
To stream BBC iPlayer in US, you have two choices, ExpressVPN or NordVPN. To be honest, you have hundreds of choices but it comes down to these two. Based on our own research, and based on discussions with people we’ve had on Reddit and other platforms, iPlayer is “annoyingly good” when it comes to blocking VPNs. This turned out to be the exact case when we tried these VPNs ourselves. Only ExpressVPN’s and NordVPN’s UK Ips seemed to work flawlessly.
So yes, get either ExpressVPN or NordVPN if you want a sure-shot way to unblock iPlayer abroad. Having said that, if you’re confused on which one to prefer over the other, don’t fret, just read on the following comparison section to help you make the right decision.
ExpressVPN to Watch BBC iPlayer Online in USA (Recommended by Us)
One of the two best choices, to say the least, ExpressVPN markets itself as the “VPN that just works,” and upon trying, you will be able to see why as well. It’s fast and it just works. We tried ExpressVPN on a 200 Mbps connection and we just got around 185.1 Mbps in downloading and around 98.2 in uploading.
The low uploading is due to uploading restrictions from our ISP. You know you’re never going to get stuck midway buffering your favorite show or documentary when you have ExpressVPN by your side.
Another huge benefit in getting ExpressVPN is that it has more than 3000 servers across the world with dozens of UK-optimized servers. Plus their support is on par with that of NordVPN. If BBC iPlayer still doesn’t work, you don’t have to go for a refund just yet. Just contact their support and they will make not just iPlayer work on your device, but also channels like HBO Max, Peacock, Paramount, Hulu, and more.
The only real thing that might bother you when ordering ExpressVPN is its pricing. It’s a little on the pricey side. To be fair it kind of deserves to be pricey. Still, it does offer quite a few deals that makes it affordable for BBC iPlayer users across the world.
If you’re interested in ExpressVPN, check out their 15 monthly plan. It’s basically 12+3 months at a price of USD 99.95, making it USD 6.67 a month. Still less expensive than waiting for Peaky Blinders on Netflix and then paying at least USD 9.99 for bare metal Netflix subscription with no privileges.
NordVPN to Stream BBC iPlayer in America (100% Working)
The other half of the two best choices, NordVPN is popular, it’s everywhere and it does everything you want from a VPN. From Unblocking British TV Channels like BBC iPlayer to accessing any geo-restricted content, NordVPN has your back.
We tested NordVPN, just like ExpressVPN and the speeds were phenomenal to say the least. On a 200 Mbps connection, what we got was 174.8 Mbps. It’s not as fast as ExpressVPN but it’s still very fast and you won’t have to wait for the video to buffer. For the upload speed, we got 95.1 Mbps.
As far as NordVPN’s servers are concerned, it has more than 440 servers in the UK alone. That means your chances of finding the fastest server in the UK to catch BBC iPlayer in US just got multiplied.
It also has nearly 2000 servers in the United States so you can unblock HBO Max and Hulu without any fuss as well. Plus like Express, their support is top-notch. If something doesn’t work, just get in touch with their support and they’ll do the magic.
Pricing for NordVPN is also one of its plus points. This VPN offers its 2-year plan for just USD 83.76 and is certainly more affordable than the two options. If you love maths, it brings the cost per month down to USD 3.49 a month. That’s a 70% discount compared to ExpressVPN’s 35% and for two years.
The bottom line here is that both the VPNs are good and it’s up to you which one you prefer. Needless to say, neither ExpressVPN nor NordVPN will disappoint you.
Why is BBC iPlayer not available in USA | How to Get BBC iPlayer in USA and Abroad?
While the BBC iPlayer doesn’t work in US or any other region outside the UK, they are at least courteous enough to reveal why their service isn’t available in those regions. When you log into BBC iPlayer’s website without a VPN, you will be able to see all the content but as soon as you click on something to stream, you’re going to get the following error:
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues”
As you can see, the issues pertains to streaming rights. The shows that air on iPlayer can only be streamed in the UK because iPlayer doesn’t have the rights to show those movies and shows outside the UK.
How does BBC iPlayer find that out? The channel tracks your IP and if the IP is from another country or area, then BBC will apologize with the above prompt.
Can I Watch BBC one in US with a Free VPN | Stream BBC iPlayer in USA Free?
As mentioned in the lines above, BBC iPlayer detects IPs and is surprisingly good at that. So if you’re using a US IP, you will be detected. People often use a free VPN to counter this issue and use a free BBC iPlayer VPN with a UK IP to bypass this issue.
Theoretically, it should work but in reality, BBC iPlayer is very good at spotting free IPs since they have already been used many times and BBC knows about them. So if you’re trying to watch iPlayer in USA for free, then there’s more than a 95% chance of it not working out.
The real hack, therefore, is to invest a little in VPN, especially since that will be your only investment as BBC iPlayer itself is totally free.
Stream British TV Channels in US with a BBC iPlayer VPN
Speaking of investing in a VPN, Express, and Nord doesn’t only serve as BBC iPlayer VPNs, you can unlock so much more with them. When you gain access to iPlayer, you can watch a dozen of BBC channels through iPlayer, because BBC streams programming of more than a dozen channels through iPlayer, including:
- BBC One
- BBC One (English regions)
- BBC Two
- BBC Three
- BBC Four
- BBC Radio 1
- BBC Scotland
- BBC News
- BBC Parliament
- BBC Alba
On top of these, you can also use the same VPNs to unblock other UK-exclusive channels like Channel 4, ITV and Netflix UK, gaining access to all sorts of programming, including:
- Live TV
- TV Shows
Stream BBC on Multiple devices | On What Device Can I Watch iPlayer in US?
Unlike Netflix where you have to pay for an account and are tied to a handful of devices, that is not really the case with iPlayer. First of all, iPlayer supports multiple devices by itself. That means more than one user can use the same account to stream on iPlayer.
Apart from that, BBC iPlayer also supports multiple accounts in its apps. So you can switch between accounts if there’s ever an issue.
And lastly, a BBC iPlayer account is absolutely free to create. So if you ever run into a problem with multiple users, just use your VPN, create another BBC iPlayer online ID, and then log onto the preferred app using that ID to stream your favorite program.
If you have a BBC iPlayer account, you can stream iPlayer on any of the following devices:
- Smart TV through app and supported browsers
- Android through app or browser. (Screencasting/Mirroring also available)
- iOS through app or browser. (Screencasting/Mirroring also available)
- Windows through browser
- Mac through browser
- Linux through browser
- Apple TV
- PS3, PS4, PS5
- Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X
- Chromecast device
How to get BBC iPlayer on Kodi | Watch iPlayer on Kodi from Abroad
Kodi is one of the most popular streaming apps/devices out there at the moment. Kodi is mostly free, thanks to the support of its third-party add-ons. On your smartphone, your Android TV, your Android box, or your PC, all you have to do is get the Kodi app through Kodi’s official website or from your app store.
Once you have the app, run the app and follow the instructions below:
- Get ExpressVPN for Kodi ($6.67/mo, 30-day money-back guarantee)
- On the home screen, click on the “Add-ons” option to the left.
- In the Add-ons section, select or just hover your mouse onto the “Download” button from the left menu.
- Then from the right menu, click on “Video add-ons.”
- Now scroll down till you see “iPlayer WWW.” Click on it.
- Once inside, click on the “Install” button.
- If you get a screen with a list of dependencies click on “OK.”
- Now, wait until Kodi shows you a notification indicating the Add-on has been installed.
- Head back to the “Add-ons” section by pressing the Escape key or just navigating back to Kodi’s home screen any way your device supports like left/right swipe or touching the back button.
- Now launch iPlayer WWW and enjoy
Note that iPlayer will require login details here as well. Also, iPlayer is one of the rare Kodi addons that require you to use a VPN to watch BBC in America or anywhere that’s not the UK.
Can I get the BBC iPlayer app on Roku | Watch iPlayer on Roku from the United States
This step is a little tricky. The basic steps are simple, you just search for iPlayer from your Roku’s channel list and then install the app. But if you can’t see Roku over there, then it’s going to take the longer route and will require you to even restore your Roku to its factory settings which will delete all the existing apps. However, you will always be able to reinstall the previous stuff once you’re done.
In any case, follow these steps closely. Here we go:
Method 1: Roku Device | Get iPlayer on Roku Device from USA
- Turn on your Roku device and connect to the internet
- Go to the section “Streaming Channels”
- Now, hit “Seach Channels”
- Click the search bar, then type BBC iPlayer and perform the search
- Once iPlayer’s app appears in the results, click on it. (iPlayer or Royal Box. Both are the same)
- Now once inside, hit “Add Channels” to install the app
- Once the app is installed, open BBC iPlayer app
- Enter your login details
Method 2: Roku Website | Stream iPlayer in United States
- Using your PC or phone, open your browser
- Go to Roku Channel Store
- Sign into Roku using the same credentials you are using on your Roku device
- Click on the search bar and type “BBC iPlayer”
- From the search results, click on iPlayer (iPlayer or Royal Box. Both are the same)
- Now click the “Add Channel” button
- Once that’s done, refresh your Roku TV. You will see iPlayer installed on your Roku.
Method 3: Screen Mirroring to Watch BBC iPlayer in USA
If you have an Android device and can get a BBC iPlayer app on your Play Store, then install it. After that, you will have to do the following to mirror your Android device’s screen on your Roku device and then stream it on your television/monitor:
- Go to Roku “Settings” menu via your remote controller
- Select “System”
- Under the “System” option, click on the “Screen mirroring” option
- Now select “Screen mirroring mode”
- Choose from the “Prompt” or “Always Allow” option
- Now head to your Android device and select it to the same WiFi network
- Tap the Cast icon at the top right. A screen of sorts.
- Once connected, your device will search for nearby casting devices.
- When your phone has detected your Roku device, select it.
- Now select the BBC iPlayer app and play the video of your choice. It should start playing
BBC iPlayer Not Working On Roku?
As we mentioned earlier, if your Roku account isn’t British, you might run into some trouble. If the above methods don’t work, it’s highly likely your Roku ID isn’t UK-based. And that’s why you should also be following these additional steps:
Resetting Roku Factory Settings
- Connect your Roku device to your TV
- Using your remote, press the “Home” button
- Go to “Settings”
- Then to “Advanced System Settings”
- Then “Factory Reset”
- Now click again on “Factory Reset” to confirm your choice
- Enter the code you are provided at the bottom of your screen
- Your device will now factory reset. Be patient with this step
Creating a UK Account for Roku
Once you have performed a successful factory reset on your Roku device, follow these steps:
- Head to https://my.roku.com/signup and sign up for a Roku account
- Enter the details like username and password for example
- Create and enter a unique pin code
- Enter your billing info
- Hit the “Home” button on the remote to head back to the main screen
- Click on “Streaming Channels”
- Hit the search and type iPlayer
- Once you see the result, BBC iPlayer, click on it
- Add the said channel
- Run the channel
- Log into the iPlayer channel using your BBC iPlayer account ID
- Enjoy BBC iPlayer in USA
How to get BBC iPlayer on Apple TV in US
Like Roku, you can also stream iPlayer on your Apple TV in USA, thanks to BBC iPlayer’s dedicated app. Most of the methods that work on Roku and Smart TVs also work on Apple TV. However, since BBC iPlayer is a UK-based service, you will have to change your Apple TV device’s region to the UK. Here’s how to do it:
- Connect your Apple TV to your screen/monitor/TV
- Head to “Settings”
- Select “General”
- Select “Region”
- Select the United Kingdom as your region
- Now enter the details you are prompted for
- Now once your region has changed, head to your “App Store”
- Now run the search for “BBC iPlayer TV app”
- Download the app
- Set up a VPN in this step on your router
- Run the BBC iPlayer app after connecting your Apple TV to a VPN through your router
- Enter your login details
- Enjoy BBC iPlayer on Apple TV in the USA
Can I get the BBC iPlayer app from Abroad on Chromecast | Watch iPlayer on Chromecast in United States
The simple answer to this question too is yes, you can stream BBC iPlayer online via Chromecast in USA. Here’s how:
- Head to the app store on your Chromecast
- Search for ExpressVPN or NordVPN app
- sign up to any of them if you haven’t already
- Run the VPN app
- Select UK server and connect to it
- Run BBC iPlayer app on your device
- Login to iPlayer using your iPlayer credentials
- Search for any movie or show
- Enjoy BBC iPlayer on Chromecast in USA
How to Watch BBC iPlayer Android Device | Get iPlayer App on Android Phones and TVs.
If you’re not from the UK and want to get BBC iPlayer app in USA, it’s a tricky thing to do. You have a choice of a few methods and you might eventually have to try out all of them to make it work. Here are some of the methods:
Method 1: Screen Mirroring/ Screencasting on to your TV/Monitor/Screen
Screen mirroring is the simplest and the best way to watch iPlayer on your Smart TV. All you have to do is:
- Get a VPN plan (ExpessVPN recommended)
- Download & run the VPN app
- Use credentials to log in to your VPN app
- Open iPlayer’s official web page on your smartphone or any other device that supports mirroring
- Use the screencast or screen mirroring option on your phone/device
- Sync the two devices (your phone and the big screen)
- Enjoy BBC iPlayer online on your big screen
Note that the options to mirror or cast your screen works on both iPhones to Android phones. Same goes for iPads and Android tablets. Refer to your own device’s setting or support page to learn more on how you can screencast from your phone.
Method 2: Changing your a Google Play Account Region
To get BBC iPlayer app from the official Google Play Store if you’re not in the UK, you will have to change your region to the UK. head to this link for Google Play Store Region and this link for Apple ID/Region.
Method 3: Creating a New Appl ID or Google Play Store ID
Method 4: Downloading BBC iPlayer APK from a third-party website
Third-party apps can be a little tricky method. You have to be sure the website is absolutely safe and secure to download apps from. To get BBC iPlayer apk from a third party site, do the following:
- Download iPlayer APK from here on your Android phone
- Once downloaded, click on the apk file (from your browser’s downloads or via file manager)
- Enable third-party app installation on your Android phone if you haven’t already
- Go through the prompts and let the BBC iPlayer app install
- Once installed, open your VPN app
- connect to VPN app via your credentials
- Now open the iPlayer app
- Enter your iPlayer credentials or sign up if you haven’t
- Once inside the BBC iPlayer app, look for your favorite show
- Enjoy BBC iPlayer shows and movies on your phone
Can I Watch BBC iPlayer in USA Offline?
If you live in the UK and move to the US with some programs downloaded via the iPlayer app, you can stream BBC iPlayer in USA offline. This also works if you just use a VPN to access BBC iPlayer from the US or from anywhere outside the UK, and then download media for offline viewing via the app.
List of Popular TV Shows on BBC
- You Don’t Know Me
- A Very British Scandal
- Four Lives
- Peaky Blinders season 06
- The Girl Before
- The Fall
- Prime Suspect
- The Missing
- Happy Valley
- Pride and Prejudice
- Call The Midwife
- The Split,
- Years and Years
- Doctor Foster
- Noughts + Crosses
- Line of Duty
- Killing Eve
- Small Axe
- Normal People
- I May Destroy You
List of Popular Movies on BBC to Stream in USA
- Downton Abbey: A New Era
- Here Before
- Mogul Mowgli
- The Nest
- The Personal History of David Copperfield
- Blue Story
- The White Crow
- Stan & Ollie
- The Mercy
- Victoria and Abdul
- Swallows and Amazons
- Their Finest
- Florence Foster Jenkins
- Absolutely Fabulous
- The Lady in the Van
- A Brilliant Young Mind
- Enchanted Kingdom 3D
- What We Did On Our Holiday
- Far From The Madding Crowd
- Before I Go to Sleep
We have mentioned every method through which you can get BBC iPlayer in the United States. Now it is your choice to watch iPlayer on Roku, Android, Apple TV, Chromecast, or any other device. There is no alternate way to watch BBC Outside the United Kingdom other than using a VPN or DNS service.