Disney’s Korean fantasy drama, Moving, achieved a resounding victory at the Busan International Film Festival’s Asia Contents Awards this past Sunday, solidifying its status as a beloved fan-favorite available on both Disney+ and Hulu.
The acclaimed series not only secured the top creative award but also celebrated victories in categories such as best writer, recognizing the remarkable talents of Kang Full, a webtoon artist who transitioned into a screenwriter.
Ryu Seung-ryong, the lead actor of the series, clinched the prestigious Best Lead Actor award, while co-stars Lee Jung-ha and Go Yoon Jung received well-deserved recognition as the best newcomer actor and actress, respectively. Additionally, Moving received praise for its exceptional visual effects, adding to its list of accolades.
Moving unfolds the captivating story of South Korean spies striving to protect their super-powered offspring from malevolent government agencies intent on exploiting their unique abilities. With its intriguing genre blend and a fresh perspective on superhero narratives, the series has captured the hearts of audiences around the world.
Since its inception in 2019, the Asia Contents Awards & Global OTT Awards, held within the influential Busan festival, have spotlighted and celebrated the burgeoning production of original series in Asia. This surge in popularity can be attributed to the substantial investments made by global streaming giants in the region’s content creation.
The star-studded awards ceremony featured actor Kim Kang-woo and K-pop sensation Nancy from Momoland as co-hosts, with musical performances by Lee Seung-yoon and the K-pop group Alice.
Other noteworthy winners included Weak Hero Class 1, a high-school drama series available on various streaming platforms, which claimed the title of best OTT original award. Netflix’s acclaimed crime drama Scoop secured two awards, one for the best Asian TV series and another for the best lead actress, awarded to the star Karishma Tanna.
Meanwhile, the best reality series category witnessed a tie between Netflix’s Physical: 100 and Meta’s culinary series Let’s Feast Vietnam. Each of these productions contributed to an exceptional showcase of the dynamic and diverse entertainment landscape within Asia.
Check out the roster of awardees from the 2023 Asia Contents Awards & Global OTT Awards below:
- Best Creative: Moving
- Best OTT Original: Weak Hero Class 1
- Best Asian TV Series: Scoop
- Best Reality & Variety: Let’s Feast Vietnam, Physical: 100
- Best Director: Xin Shuang, The Long Season
- Best Writer: Kang Full, Moving
- Best Lead Actor: Ryu Seung Ryong, Moving
- Best Lead Actress: Karishma Tanna, Scoop
- Best Supporting Actor: Hsueh Shih-Ling, Taiwan Crime Stories
- Best Supporting Actress: Lim Ji-yeon, The Glory
- Best Newcomer Actor: Lee Jung Ha, Moving
- Best Newcomer Actress: Go Youn Jung, Moving
- Best Visual Effects: Moving
- Creative Beyond Border: Exchange 2, One Day Off
- New Technology: TVing
- Special Contribution for K-Contents: Viu, Wavve Amercias
- Special Contribution for OTT Industry: Watcha
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Kim Jonghak
- Asian Excellence Award: Yuya Yagira, Gannibal
- Rising Star of the Year: Wen Junhui, Buffy Chen